UNICEF Kenya Humanitarian Situation Report No. 2 (Drought) – 1 June to 30 June 2022 – Kenya

Attachments

Strong points:

According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) Food Security Report of June 2022, and after four consecutive failed rainy seasons, the number of people facing food insecurity in Kenya has fallen from 3, 5 million to 4.1 million.

· A total of 9,539 children (4,998 girls, 4,541 boys) were admitted for treatment of severe acute malnutrition during the reporting period in the target counties.

A total of 9,900 people (4,851 men and 5,049 women) received WASH supplies (jerrycans, buckets, soap and Aqua tablets) along with hygiene messages, home water treatment and safe storage during the month of June. In addition, 170,469 people (83,530 men, 86,939 women) gained access to vital clean water.

· A total of 118,422, including 56,820 girls, 38,240 boys, 10,514 men and 12,848 women with life-saving integrated outreach services linked to targeted and supported health facilities.

15,726 (6,723 girls and 9,003 boys) out-of-school children – OOSC children enrolled in schools benefited from school supplies (school bags, school kits, handicap kits) in Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit counties , Turkana and Baringo.

UNICEF drought emergency funding requirements to meet life-saving health, nutrition, WASH, protection and education needs of affected people over the period April to December 2022 is $67.8 million with an 87% funding gap.

· The results achieved during the reporting period are also due to the office’s decision to reprogram approximately $3 million of its existing resources to support the drought response.

Overview of Funding and Partnerships

UNICEF is appealing for $67.8 million to support the provision of life-saving services to drought-affected children in Kenya during the period April to December 2022 (see Annex B), including $8.6 million dollars (13%) were received. , leaving a funding gap of $59.2 million (87%). Funding in the pipeline is $14.6 million, primarily from USAID/BHA and Germany’s Natcom for the nutrition sector response.

UNICEF has intensified its resource mobilization efforts to minimize the funding gap so that it can effectively meet the needs of drought-affected boys and girls, men and women in the target counties.

Overall, in the financial year 2021/22, the Government of Kenya has allocated a budget of KES 15.63 billion (approx.
$135 million) representing 1% of the total government budget for emergency response under the coordination of the Ministry of Interior as well as the National Drought Management Authority (NDMA) which leads the operational coordination. Out of this allocation, the government, through the Ministry of Health (MoH), released 26 million Kenyan shillings from the treasury for the purchase of Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food (RUTF).

The European Commission/ECHO, USAID, Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), Government of Japan, Norway, Japan Committee for UNICEF and UN OCHA (CERF) have generously contributed to UNICEF Kenya’s humanitarian response to the drought crisis.

UNICEF continues to support the government of Kenya at national and county level, civil society organizations (CSOs) and other humanitarian partners to respond to the drought-affected population.

Check Also

4Rs Nutrient Stewardship Field Day featured nutrient management and water quality research

Lincoln, Neb. -The University of Nebraska–Lincoln 2022 4Rs Nutrient Stewardship Field Day to Eastern Nebraska …