The University of Maine will celebrate Earth Week 2022 April 18-22 with a series of events.
Each day of Earth Week, UMaine’s Green Campus Initiative (GCI) will host a treasure hunt for prizes hidden on campus, with clues posted on GCI Instagram, @umainegci, each morning. GCI will also host its annual Earth Week nature photo contestwhere participants simply go out and take pictures of nature and tag GCI on social media or email the group at [email protected]. Grand Prize, Second and Third Place winners will be selected at random. The group also encourages participants to view a series of films on the human dimensions of climate change, sponsored by the Fogler Library, in line.
UMaine Earth Week will also coincide with this year’s Virtual Healthy High 5K and 10K run, a collaboration with the Division of Student Life and Title IX Student Services. This year’s run focuses on promoting healthy relationships, ending sexual violence and raising awareness of April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Proceeds are donated to the Student Physical Education Organization, Black Bear Exchange, and the Division of Student Life and Title IX Services. Register online for instructions on how to complete the race and options for submitting results.
The schedule of daily Earth Week events:
monday april 18
- 12-2 p.m., Plant and Craft Swap sponsored by UMaine Green Team, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
The Green Team will host a plant and craft supply swap at the Memorial Union Totman Lounge to help the community reduce waste and consumption. Participants can bring in extra plants or craft supplies by trade or pick up new ones.
tuesday april 19
- 2:00-4:00 p.m., UMaine GCI Sponsored Microgreens Plantation, on Mall (Rain Location: Memorial Union)
Microgreens are easy to care for, only take about two weeks to grow, and are loaded with essential nutrients. Participants can join GCI to plant your own microgreens seeds. All materials provided.
Wednesday April 20
- 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m., Fresh Check, sponsored by UMaine Student Wellness Resource Center, the Mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
College Check-In Day or Fresh-Check Day is an event that aims to increase mental health and suicide prevention awareness and education for students. Participants can join the Student Wellness Resource Center to play games, win prizes and learn how to help a friend in need.
- 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m., Pop-up Shop sponsored by UMaine Green Team and the Black Bear Exchange, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
Participants can bring their unwanted clothes and exchange them for new ones. All items are free and no clothing donations are required.
- 5-7 p.m., Earth Crafts sponsored by UMaine GCI, on the mall (rain location: Memorial Union)
Attendees can grab a plastic water bottle and join UMaine GCI on the mall to create a water bottle fish with paint, scraps and other supplies. The fish can be kept or added to the UMaine Green Team Trash Gallery later in the week.
Thursday April 21
- 4-6 p.m., Redemption Center Bottle Toss sponsored by UMaine GCI, on the Mall (Rain location: Memorial Union)
Test your knowledge of Maine’s bottle bill rules, Maine’s recycling trivia, and your goal. Representatives will ask participants questions and give the chance to throw bottles in their respective bins.
- 5-6 p.m., Sustainable Menstrual Products sponsored by UMaine Feminist Collective, Intersection Feminist Resource Center in the Memorial Union
Learn about sustainable options for menstrual products with feminist collective UMaine. The first 20 participants will receive a free June Cup.
- 8-10 p.m., Sustainable Crafts sponsored by the UMaine Campus Activities Council, Memorial Union North Pod
Join the Campus Activities Council to create sustainable crafts.
friday april 22
- Launch of issue 6 of Spire, online
The Maine Journal of Conservation and Sustainability publishes its sixth issue of Spire on Earth Day. Issue 6 contains a variety of submissions, including art, poetry, photography, research, and personal stories. Access the most recent and back issues by click here.
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Earth Day at The Den sponsored by UMaine Dining and GCI, Memorial Union
UMaine Dining will launch a new reusable container program. Attendees can learn about sustainability efforts and how UMaine Dining works with local food producers. GCI will support and showcase all that Auxiliary Services are doing to help put Earth First. Join the program and enter to win great prizes.
- 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Sustainable Networking Poster Session, Memorial Union Bear’s Den Upper Level
The poster session will bring together students, businesses, and communities working on sustainability solutions, including faculty and graduate and undergraduate students, as well as communities and colleagues involved or interested in sustainability research. Researchers attending the event can spark new research ideas, start collaborations on topics related to interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity, learn about sustainability research topics and activities. Students can hear about careers, research, and opportunities related to sustainability science. Partner stakeholders, businesses, and alumni can share their experiences, engage new communities and potential customers, and meet existing and emerging workforces involved in sustainability research and businesses. Coupons for coffee, cookies and snacks will be available for attendees.
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. campus cleanup sponsored by SEAD, New Balance Student Recreation Center
Help make campus more beautiful by cleaning up litter in the recreation center area and on Hilltop Lot on Earth Day. Garbage bags and gloves will be provided.
- 3-4 p.m., Garbage Gallery sponsored by UMaine Green Team, Memorial Union Totman Lounge
UMaine’s green team will host a creative trash art gallery, or “trat.” Bring work to display, get noticed on social media, and get recognition for your work.
The complete program of events is available on the UMaine Earth Week 2022 webpage and will be updated as events are finalized.