Two major initiatives are taking place in the Energy Corridor in early 2022

Two major initiatives are underway in the Energy Corridor District in early 2022.

Houston’s Western District, home to offices for many companies in the energy sector and beyond – which consists of more than 2,000 acres stretching along the Katy Freeway from Kirkwood Road in the west from Barker Cypress Road – has already started a bus service to and from a large suburb, and a project to divert sewage from the existing treatment plant to another treatment plant will begin in the coming months.

commuter service

A commuter service between The Woodlands and Energy Corridor was launched on January 4.

Buses leave Sawdust Park & ​​Ride in The Woodlands at 5:30 a.m., 6:00 a.m., 6:30 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. Monday through Friday and are due to arrive at the Energy Corridor, with multiple stops in the neighborhood, an hour later.

Buses on the return route depart at 3:30, 4:00, 4:45, and 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and at 1:30, 4:00, 4:45, and 5:30 p.m. in the afternoon. afternoon on Friday with the approximately 40 mile journey which should take an hour according to The Woodlands Township website bus schedule.

A return ticket costs $13.

“The Park and Ride system has been very successful over the years for our residents who work downtown and at the medical center,” said Woodlands Township President Gordy Bunch. “As many residents work in the Energy Corridor, this provides additional opportunities for our residents. We look forward to seeing how this service can progress for our residents.

A congestion management and air quality grant from the Houston-Galveston Regional Council covers 80% of the cost of the new commuter service, with the remaining 20% ​​split equally between Woodlands Township and the Corridor District energy.

Energy Corridor District Executive Director Elijah Williams said the district is considering starting commuter services with other parts of greater Houston and is already in preliminary talks with Fort Bend Transit about a commuter service. suburb between the two areas.

“I think there is an opportunity in the future to explore additional commuter services,” he said. “Our focus today is to ensure that this service is a success and that we serve our employees who live there and provide them with a shorter commute time and better experience on the road.”

Change of waste water

Beginning in the spring of 2022, the City of Houston is undertaking a project to decommission the Park Ten Wastewater Treatment Plant on Park Row west of Highway 6 and reroute that flow to a sewage treatment plant. newly installed Turkey Creek sewage treatment plant off North Eldridge Parkway south of the Katy Highway.

The move is being made due to the age of the existing Park Ten sewage treatment plant.

The approximately $40 million project is expected to last 18 months.

“This is a massive construction project that is going to be major for our employers and our businesses,” Williams said. “We are working with the City of Houston to ensure that our employees can still access their work and that we minimize the impact on traffic as much as possible.”

“The good news and the bad news, depending on your perspective, is that the project is mostly contained along Park Row (which parallels the Katy Freeway to the north), so the main impact, in our view, will be limited to Park Row,” Williams added.

Williams hinted at other Energy Corridor projects coming later in the year. He didn’t share any details about them, but hinted at a major rebranding effort.

“We are reinventing the energy corridor, and that’s it, from the public realm, the physical, to the real sense of place, the identity of the neighborhood. We really want to implement projects that let people know that they are present in the energy corridor,” he said.

[email protected]

Check Also

Scientists develop rapid and highly sensitive method for detection of SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater

Wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE) has proven to be an excellent way to understand the spread of …