September 22, 2021, 2:01 PM HST
The State of Hawaii has released $ 602 million for capital improvement projects in 2021, including critical public infrastructure projects across the state and $ 69.8 million for County of Hawaii projects. Maui.
“We are building on the efforts of previous years to improve and rejuvenate a wide range of public infrastructure necessary for the well-being and safety of residents of Hawaii,” said Hawaii Governor David Ige. âAs we continue to address the challenges of COVID-19, we want to ensure that Hawaii has the resources to meet critical needs, as well as to support opportunities and conservation efforts.
A list of projects financed by CIP funds released between April and August 2021 is available here. The funds were released in April, May, June, July and August 2021.
Maui County Projects:
- Improvements to the HonoapiÊ»ilani highway: $ 1 million to fund improvement planning between milestones 10.5 and 18. Estimated completion January 2023.
- Honolua Bridge: $ 100,000 to fund additional land and design for the rehabilitation of the Honolua Bridge along the HonopiÊ»ilani Highway. The total project costs $ 1.3 million with an expected completion date of June 2023.
- Maui District Base Yard Office: $ 5.7 million to finance, design and carry out the expansion and renovation of the offices. Completion scheduled for July 2023.
- NÄpili Bay and Beach Foundation: $ 75,000 for the construction of new public access stairs to NÄpili Beach, including the removal of the old stairs. Total cost of the project $ 155,000.
- Maui Backcountry Agricultural Park: $ 3.5 million to finance the improvement of agricultural infrastructure in Kula Agricultural Park. The total project cost $ 9.5 million and is expected to be completed in March 2022.
- Baldwin High School: $ 7 million to finance the design and construction of physical education and sports facilities. Completion scheduled for December 2024.
- Kahului Public Library: $ 200,000 to fund study planning and needs identification for the integration of the new Kahului public library into the DAGS mixed-use civic center complex in Kahului. Completion scheduled for August 2023.
- Maui Health System: $ 12 million for construction funds for various capital improvement projects in Maui and LÄnaÊ»i. Completion expected in November 2022.
- Maui Community Correctional Center: $ 1.2 million to move the chiller to Modules A, B, C and D to make room for a new module. The total project costs $ 4.9 million and is expected to be completed in November 2023.
- Containment barrier for the eradication of the Coqui frog: $ 750,000 for a barrier at MÄliko Gulch to prevent the spread of invasive shell frogs to nearby areas. The total project cost $ 1.5 million and is expected to be completed in December 2022.
- Kahului Airport: $ 15.8 million to design and build improvements to the bunkers and doors. The total project cost $ 65.1 million with expected completion in December 2023.
- Car Rental Service at Kahului Airport: $ 700,000 for pavement improvement for the Consolidated Rental Car facility. Total cost of the project: $ 377 million.
- Kanaio Dry Forest Fence: $ 300,000 to build a fence in the Kanaio Nature Reserve to protect native species from hoofed animals. Completion scheduled for June 2023.
- Protection of Kanaio resources: $ 800,000 to plan and construct a fence to protect culturally sensitive areas and critical habitat around Pu’u Pimoe. Completion scheduled for June 2023.
- KÄ«hei Primary School: $ 270,000 to design upgrades to meet ADA standards. Completion scheduled for February 2022.
- Maui’s backcountry wells: $ 250,000 for water well development plans. The total project cost $ 1.25 million and completion is scheduled for July 2022.
- Mitigation of rockfall on the HÄna highway: $ 12.4 million to design and construct rockfall protection and slope stabilization at various locations along the Huelo to HÄna highway.
- Improvement of the Hawaiian land lot: $ 950,000 for design and engineering services for road access, water and electricity services to the NÄ’iwa Subdivision. The total project cost $ 10.5 million and is expected to be completed in June 2022.
- KanahÄ Pond State Wildlife Sanctuary: $ 300,000 to build a replacement fence to protect endangered waterfowl. The total project cost $ 1.3 million and is expected to be completed in August 2022.
- MolokaÊ»i Airport: $ 6.5 million to fund construction of the improvements to Runway 17-35 and Taxiway E. The total project cost $ 18.7 million and is expected to be completed in November 2022.