NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) – Full trash carts along Sadler Avenue in South Nashville are a problem for homeowners like David Johnson.
“It’s incredibly frustrating because it’s a horror,” Johnson said.
Frustration over the lack of consistency in the city’s trash pickup service continues for Johnson as he sees trash being picked up on nearby streets, but it appears the trash pickup on Sadler Avenue is being ignored.
“I offered to move the bins to different streets or even to Glenrose to see if that would help the bins. But again, that sounds like talking in a vacuum, so let us know how we can help” , Johnson said.
News 4’s Danielle Jackson walked down Sadler Avenue noticing the overflow of trash in front of several homes. Other nearby streets didn’t seem to have this problem.
So far this year, David has filed four complaints with Hub Nashville regarding mission trash pickups. He says he just wants to hear someone from town explain why this keeps happening.
The city says this particular road is collected by its contractor Waste Industries which handles 8% of residential garbage collection in Nashville.
“We called the Nashville hub, you know they don’t really have an explanation. We understand there is a problem with the contract. But again, we’re not paying for this contract, we’re paying the city to serve us customers and citizens of the city,” Johnson said.
We contacted the city and they shared with News 4 that they raised the issue with Waste Industries but were still awaiting a response from them on the reason for the missed waste pickups.
On Wednesday afternoon, News4 learned that trash along Sadler Avenue had been picked up.
Here are some tips from the city regarding garbage collection:
• On the day of your pickup, place your cart in a visible location on the sidewalk or driveway with the arrow on the cover pointing to the street or driveway. Your waste will be picked up between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
• Do not place the cart within 3 feet of a fixed object such as a car, mailbox, utility pole, recycling cart, etc.
• Do not place cart under wires, tree branches, building overhangs, or other items that could be damaged. Please ensure there is 15 feet of clearance.
• All items must be bagged and placed inside the garbage cart. Items placed outside the trash basket will not be picked up.
• Please remove your cart from the street before 7:00 p.m. on pick-up day.
Copyright 2022 WSMV. All rights reserved.