DANBURY, Connecticut, July 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – FuelCell Energy, Inc. (Nasdaq: FCEL) – a global leader in fuel cell technology with the aim of using its proprietary state-of-the-art fuel cell platforms to enable a clean energy world – announced construction completion of Site and Commencement of Commercial Operation 1.4 Megawatt SureSource 1500 ™ Biofuel Fuel Cell Project with San Bernardino Municipal Water Department (SBMWD) in California. FuelCell Energy’s platform eliminates the need for another torch in California. FuelCell Energy offers the only fuel cell power generation platform approved by the California Air Resource Board (CARB) for use with on-site biofuels. Commercial operation of this project adds 1.4 megawatts to the Company’s generating fleet portfolio, bringing the total to 34 megawatts.
“We are delighted to begin commercial operations of our platform in San Bernardino,” commented Jason Few, President and CEO of FuelCell Energy. “We are keeping our promise to the City of San Bernardino Municipal Water Department, providing 1.4 megawatts of clean energy and, most importantly, contributing to cleaner air quality in the region by capturing and using on-site methane gas that would otherwise be flared. . Using our industrial scale fuel cell energy and heat platform, coupled with our proprietary biogas processing system, the continuous power profile of our platforms makes them a great choice with factories. wastewater treatment.
“We are delighted to begin operating the fuel cell facility,” said Miguel Guerrero, general manager of the San Bernardino municipal water service. “The fuel cell will generate power for the water recovery plant and consume methane produced from wastewater treatment digesters, maintaining compliance with South Coast Air Quality Management District regulations and contributing to cleaner air for California. “
Highlights of the project include:
- The SureSource 1500 ™ Power Plant runs on the city’s anaerobic digestion gas, which will be treated by the proprietary SureSource Treatment ™ system, cleanly producing electricity and thermal energy to support the operation of the plant. SBMWD water recovery.
- SBMWD will purchase the clean electricity produced under a 20-year power purchase contract.
- The SureSource 1500 ™ power plant will use methane-rich biogas that would otherwise be burnt, wasting energy and producing emissions, to produce hydrogen for the production of clean, renewable and carbon-neutral energy.
- The SureSource 1500 ™ Power Plant provides thermal heat that improves the water treatment process.
- The SureSource Treatment ™ system is a proprietary cleaning technology powered by FuelCell Energy’s extensive experience in on-site biogas treatment. This system allows FuelCell Energy to clean the biofuel and use it on site without injection into the common gas pipeline. Gas processing requirements are reduced compared to pipeline injection due to the ability of SureSource fuel cell systems to use low Btu biogas.
- Serving a population of approximately 200,000, the SBMWD supplies more than 15.5 billion gallons of water per year and provides wastewater collection and treatment at the water collection plant.
About FuelCell Energy
FuelCell Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ: FCEL): FuelCell Energy is a global leader in clean, sustainable energy technologies that address some of the world’s most critical energy, security and urbanization challenges. As a leading global manufacturer of proprietary fuel cell technology platforms, FuelCell Energy is uniquely positioned to serve customers around the world with sustainable products and solutions for businesses, utilities, governments and communities. municipalities. Our solutions are designed to enable a world powered by clean energy, improving the quality of life for people around the world. We are targeting large-scale electricity users with our megawatt class facilities around the world and currently offer sub-megawatt solutions for small electricity consumers in Europe. To provide a baseline, one megawatt is sufficient to continuously power approximately 1,000 mid-size US homes. We develop turnkey distributed power generation solutions and operate and provide full service throughout the life of the power plant. Our fuel cell solution is a clean and efficient alternative to traditional combustion-based electricity generation, and is complementary to an energy mix made up of intermittent energy sources, such as wind turbines and solar. Our customer base includes utility companies, municipalities, universities, hospitals, government entities / military bases and a variety of industrial and commercial companies. Our main geographic markets are currently the United States and South Korea, and we are looking for opportunities in other countries around the world. Connecticut-based FuelCell Energy was founded in 1969.
SureSource, SureSource 1500, SureSource 3000, SureSource 4000, SureSource Recovery, SureSource Capture, SureSource Hydrogen, SureSource Storage, SureSource Service, SureSource Treatment, SureSource Capital, FuelCell Energy and the FuelCell Energy logo are all trademarks of FuelCell Energy, Inc.
FuelCell Energy, Inc.
Source: Fuel cell energy