NEET aspirant dies after consuming contaminated water, more than 30 students are believed to have fallen ill

NEET seeker dies after consuming contaminated water

Photo: iStock

A shock from Kota in Rajasthan where an 18-year-old NEET aspirant, Vaibhav Roy, died of severe liver disease on Thursday. Vaibhav was diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy. Vaibhav breathed his last in a private hospital where he was undergoing treatment. The case comes from the Jawahar Nagar region, where 35 other students are suffering from liver disease. Students fell ill from drinking contaminated water.
Kota Chief Medical Officer of Health (CMHO) Dr. Jagdish Soni told PTI that three water suppliers in the area were supplying contaminated drinking water to training institutes, hostels and canteens. However, he said the exact cause of Roy’s death will be determined through a death audit, which is ongoing.

Of the total number of students who suffered from liver disease, 18 have recovered and others are under treatment in three private hospitals.

According to Dr. Rajiv Sharma, who was treating Vaibhav, he was admitted to hospital with fever and jaundice on October 5, but a few days later was diagnosed with hepatic encephalopathy. He died of severe swelling in the brain.

The health department collected 65 water samples from various sources and discovered that three water suppliers were distributing contaminated water to coaching institutes, hostels and other consumers.

The investigation is ongoing and the CMHO has been tasked with conducting the investigation.

With PTI entries

Check Also

Board of Education rejects emergency timeline for school accountability reform in Virginia

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s push to change the way academic performance is …