No new community cases were reported on Friday and no evidence of Covid-19 was found in Tuesday’s wastewater tests, as Wellington continues to battle its latest fear of Covid-19.
Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins called the news “encouraging”, but Chief Health Officer Dr Ashley Bloomfield warned the region was “not out of the woods yet “.
Greater Wellington has been on the brink since it was revealed that a tourist from Sydney who visited the capital over the weekend tested positive for the virus.
Results from crucial fifth day tests by people in human-related places of interest were due to start filtering on Friday, but so far no positive results have been returned.
* Covid-19 NZ: Wellington’s first day at level 2 sees hundreds line up to be tested
* Covid-19: Additional testing stations for Wellington, expert says what people are seeing is a “key challenge in controlling outbreaks”
Health officials were operating under the assumption that the Sydney man was infected with the highly contagious Delta variant, plunging the region into Alert Level 2 on Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. Sunday.
It comes as New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced that four Sydney neighborhoods, including the CBD, were under a stay-at-home order, after 22 new cases acquired locally have been identified. The containment order was in place until midnight next Friday.
Covid testing is underway at a pop-up testing station in Hataitai Park as Wellington moves to Alert Level 2.
However, instead of seeing a flood of people at a test station in the parking lot of Te Papa Tongarewa – among the list of sites visited by the man – the lines were largely nonexistent when visiting Stuff on Friday morning. .
At 11:30 a.m. on Friday, Capital & Coast District Health Council Strategy, Planning and Performance Director Rachel Haggerty said 52 people had been swabbed at Te Papa’s community testing station, one of many new testing sites aimed at building testing capacity.
âCommunity testing centers in the area are reporting constant volumes of people looking for swabs. Anyone who is symptomatic or who has visited a place of interest is invited to make an appointment to be tested.
âPeople who arrive without an appointment can experience long wait times,â Haggerty said.
In Lower Hutt, the Riverbank test station – which opened at noon – had patients arriving at three-minute intervals for testing, served by three drive-by test booths – one for reserved testing, another for non-reservations and the third in reserve if demand increases.
The station opened at 12 noon. At 12:30 p.m., only five people without reservations had shown up.
In addition to another Lower Hutt test station near Hutt Hospital, other test sites were operating in KÄpiti, Porirua, Johnsonville, Karori, Hataitai, Central Wellington, Newtown, and Upper Hutt. Some general practices also offered testing.
So far, no positive results have been reported in connection with the alert.
The district health board estimated that the number of Covid-19 swabs on Thursday had “far exceeded the 2,100 carried out” the day before. The final figures were due to arrive on Friday.
Meanwhile, the Wellington Airport men’s washroom – adjacent to the food court and next to the gift shop at the international end of the terminal – has been added by the Department of Health as another location of interest.
Anyone who used the toilet between 9:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. on Monday was now asked to stay home and register for a Covid-19 test on Saturday – five days after exposure to the infected man – and to stay home until a negative result the result is received.
They should also monitor themselves for symptoms of Covid-19 for 14 days and, if symptoms develop, immediately undergo another test, the ministry said.
In total, there are 18 places of interest related to the Sydney man, including a barber shop, several downtown restaurants, Te Papa, a supermarket, a hotel, and flights to and from the city. capital city.
QR code scanning is on an upward trajectory, with numbers reaching 894,288 on Wednesday, an increase of more than 300,000 from Tuesday’s numbers.
A spokesperson for the health ministry said it remains crucial for everyone to keep track of their whereabouts, either by scanning QR codes or keeping a manual log of their movements, as well as by activating Bluetooth.